Burnaby’s Christmas Cheer
Burnaby is alight and bright with the spirit of the season. Celebrations abound with fantastic shopping, merry sing-a-longs, an old-fashioned Christmas and more.
From the Burnaby Village Museum’s Heritage Christmas to special visits with Santa and local Black Friday deals – you’ll find it all in Burnaby.
What’s going on this holiday season? Here’s the scoop:
- Burnaby Village Museum – Step back into time with sparkling displays throughout this interactive 1920s museum, where there are even more shimmering lights to enjoy this year. Take part in the Twelve Days of Christmas scavenger hunt, create your own magical show at the bandstand with lights that twinkle and change colours to sound, and enjoy some unique entertainment – such as theatre and marionette performances, choirs and musicians. Several family favourites are also back, including children’s crafts, storytelling sessions, baking in the Farmhouse and, of course, visits with Father Christmas and much more. Admission is free. Visit Burnaby Village Museum for hours of operation and entertainment schedule.
- Light Up the Heights – Visit the Heights on Saturday, Dec. 6 for Light Up the Heights, a daylong sidewalk festival with twinkling tree lights, a visit with Santa and his elves, strolling carollers, holiday specials and festive characters spreading good cheer. The Heights’ tree-lighting ceremony takes place at 4:30pm at Burnaby Fire Hall No. 5 (4211 Hastings Street). The event runs from 12pm to 5pm. For more information, visit Light Up the Heights.
- Shadbolt’s Seasonal Celebration – Join Shadbolt’s Seasonal Celebration on Saturday, Dec. 13 from 3pm to 8pm. This year’s theme? Italian Style! This annual extravaganza is bustling with entertainment, such as the Famee Furlane Dancers and City Opera Vancouver among others, as well as a Christmas Market and family-friendly activities – including arts and crafts, cooking demonstrations and a performance of Befana’s Star: A Traditional Italian Christmas Story (tickets are $10 per person). Event admission is free. For more information, visit Shadbolt Seasonal Celebration.
- Sharron & George’s Super Fun Christmas Sing-a-long – Join this award-winning Canadian musical theatre couple on Dec. 11 and 12 at the Shadbolt Centre for a one-of-a-kind party. Don your Christmas sweater, grab your tambourine, kazoo, and all your family and friends, and enjoy a memorable Christmas event with Sharron Matthews and George Masswohl. Sharron and George will hand you a personal song sheet, then lead you through this cheery sing-a-long. For more information, visit Sharron & George’s Super Fun Christmas Sing-a-long.
Ho Ho Ho! Santa’s Corner
- Breakfast with Santa… Share some pancakes with Santa at the Willingdon Community Centre on Dec. 6. Along with a pancake breakfast for all, this memorable event includes fun holiday crafts. (Children must be accompanied with a registered adult.) Registration is required. For more information, visit Willingdon Breakfast with Santa.
- Dine with Santa… Enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast with sausage and fruit at the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre on Dec. 6. And don’t forget your cameras – Santa and a special guest will be visiting and bringing goody bags. Adult admission is $7, children aged 3 to 12 are $6.50, and toddlers between the ages of 0 to 2 are $3. For tickets to this popular sell-out event, phone 604-777-7000 or visit the Nikkei.
- Brunch with Santa… Join Saint Nick on Dec. 13 at the Cameron Recreation Complex for this merry brunch, which also includes holiday crafts for children. Registration is required. For more information, visit Cameron Brunch with Santa.
- Skate with Santa… Bring family, friends and those you hold dear to enjoy crafts, games and holiday cheer on Dec. 20 at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre for this cool Skate with Santa event. For more information, visit Skate with Santa.
- Santa at the Mall… All three of Burnaby’s shopping centres feature special visits and photo ops with the man in red throughout the holidays. So, make that wish list and bring it to Santa this Christmas. Brentwood Town Centre, Lougheed Town Centre and Metropolis at Metrotown will all be home base for Santa during this festive season.
Black Friday + Holiday Fun in Burnaby
Avoid the hassle, skip the border and shop local – Burnaby’s shopping centres are ready for the event of the season: Black Friday.
- Brentwood Town Centre – Visit Brentwood for some great deals and entertainment on Black Friday, as well as on Saturday, Dec. 6, 13 and 20 from 12pm to 2pm, where you’ll find a variety of activities and entertainment – including Petite Puf Cotton Candy, Sugar Plum Fairy stilt walkers, Cookie Decorating, Live Ice Carving Shows, Suspended Aerialist Shows, a Snow Fall Experience, Juggling Elves, a live DJ spinning holiday tunes and more.
- Plus, you can tweet a photo with Saint Nick from Nov. 29 to Dec. 24 for a chance to win a $500 gift card. Simply snap a photo with Brentwood’s resident Santa and share it on Twitter with @brentwoodinfo using #selfieswithsanta. The winning photo will be announced on social media on Christmas Eve at 4pm. Oh, and don’t forget about Brentwood’s popular Feel Good Fridays event. Visit Brentwood Town Centre for more information.
- Lougheed Town Centre – Rise and shine on Black Friday and head to Lougheed. The doors open at 7am with a gift card giveaway. Be one of the first 200 people to visit Guest Services at 7am, and receive a gift card valued up to $200. There will also be live entertainment from 12pm to 2pm. Santa’s elves have been working hard to create other seasonal perks for shoppers as well, such as free photos with Santa every Monday from Nov. 24 to Dec. 15, and an array of entertainment – including stilt-walking violinists, the Gerald Boey Jazz Band, ‘Christmas in Song’ school and community choir performances and more.
- Other winter-y bonuses? Check out Lougheed’s indoor snowfall, free gift-wrapping, unexpected goodies and other holiday treats. And don’t miss Lougheed’s Feel Good Fridays from Nov. 29 to Dec. 19, featuring music, lunch deals, samples, giveaways and more in the food court. For more information, visit Lougheed Town Centre.
- Metropolis at Metrotown – Black Friday kicks off at 7am at Metrotown, BC’s largest shopping centre, with some amazing offers, door-crasher deals and promotions, including a $25,000 shopping spree.
- Be sure to arrive early and enter on the touch-screen kiosks at each Customer Service for a chance to win other prizes. Click here for more information on these and other events and promotions at Metropolis at Metrotown.