Best Spots to see Cherry Blossoms in Burnaby
Spring is here, and that means cherry blossoms have begun blooming! More than 40,000 cherry trees are located across over 2,000 locations in the Lower Mainland. Soon, everywhere you look, trees will be painting neighbourhoods in awash of colour from a blush of pink to pure snow white cherry blossoms.
Below, we’ve put together a brief list of favorite places to see cherry blossoms in Burnaby – don’t forget to share your cherry blossom photos with us through #ExploreBurnaby
Here are some of the top spots to see the cherry blossoms in Burnaby over the coming weeks:
- Burnaby Civic Square
- There is a large group of Akebono cherry trees at Burnaby Civic Square, outside the Bob Prittie Metrotown Branch of the Burnaby Public Library. Grab a book and enjoy a peaceful read in the shade of one of these beauties.
- Burnaby Mountain Picnic Area
- Head up the hill for a spring picnic, and enjoy the view of these Somei-yoshino cherry trees on a backdrop of the city.
- Bonsor Recreation Complex
- Located right next to Metropolis at Metrotown, this group of Shirotae cherry trees at the Bonsor Recreation Complex makes for a pretty post-shopping scene.
For more cherry blossom viewing locations in Burnaby, and throughout the Lower Mainland, check out VCBF’s Blooming Now map for a comprehensive list: http://maps.vcbf.ca/map/
The comprehensive map allows you to search by neighbourhood or cultivar. Hint – click the favourites tab on the map to see the locations offering the best photo-ops.
Looking for more cherry blossom events? The Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival is an annual celebration that marks the reawakening of the cherry blossom trees in the Lower Mainland. This year, the festival takes place March 30 – April 23rd.